1. What inspired the brand name?
The brands manifesto itself is a tribute to outsider culture, praising the underdogs, the minorities, the dreamers, and rule breakers.“As a kid I’d bail from home whenever I could, go to gigs, art events, film nights, whatever, I just wanted to escape and find where I belonged”.“The Static Dreams collection is just that – a place where outsiders can belong and celebrate who they are”.
2. At what moment did you realize you wanted to start a brand?
I think ever since I was in high school I knew I wanted to start a brand. I think now I finally feel confident to do it, I’ve worked with some bigger brands now and people seemed to really feel what I was doing and I’d saved some extra money doing freelance stuff so thought its kind of now or never.
3. What helps you get over creative blocks?
Just working, I think just putting stuff down, it doesn’t matter if it’s shit, its about output, the more you create, the better you get at it.
4. What is the biggest mistake you have made?
Just over committing myself to what I could achieve in a short period of time.
5. What is the biggest success you have had?
Just working on big brands and being able to work for independents, I really support people doing what they want.
6. Favorite color to use?
Black and white.
7. A source of inspiration people may find weird?
I think old science documents.
8. Another Brand that inspires you and why?
Mishka, I think they've just made stuff they've loved and built a pretty large audience for stuff that was originally considered pretty niche, I respect that they've just stuck to their guns.
9. Where do you see yourself and the brand in 1 year and 5 years?
1 year: Hopefully just growing and hopefully released another couple ranges by then
5 years: Hopefully doing these as my full-time thing
10. In 5 words or less describe your brand
Home for the outsiders
On Our Own will be releasing their first debut collection at 35 Adelaide St, Brisbane City above Laced or online at www.on-our-own.co on August 28th 2017.